[Xastir] What does "local" mean?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Jan 10 14:58:16 EST 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 BobDonnell at arkalmus.com wrote:

> What would be more interesting overall is to keep all the position reports for all "heard direct" stations, and to be able to select a map display mode that shows only those positions, along with the station call and icon for the station generating the "heard direct" packet.  APRS+SA is able to do this.  The program paradigm there is of an APRS program generating map description files, then telling the mapping program to load them - not quite the Xastir2 paradigm we want, but my idea might be a lot easier to implement in Xastir2.

That's basically what we're talking about.  Parsing the incoming
stuff, setting a flag/timer that says we heard them direct, then
adding a togglebutton to the station filter menu so that we can
display only those stations.

This is something that Tim wanted originally, and Jack is interested
in it as well.  It would be a useful display for checking range of
your home station, or at a digi location.

I suppose you could even turn transmit off, set your callsign to
that of a local digi, and then run Xastir for a while to determine
what the local digi coverage was.  A little risky doing this, but it
would work.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin