[Xastir] Xastir falling asleep?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon Jul 7 13:21:16 EDT 2003

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Kirk Mefford wrote:

> I have xastir loaded through a telnet session and displayed on a cygwin
> x-server on an old Pentium-100 computer.  The slow computer can't handle
> the load of being connected to an internet server very well but allows
> xastir to always be on screen and "out of my way" this way.
>
> After an undetermined amount of time Xastir seems to go to sleep.  It still
> displays the map screen etc but doesn't do anything until it receives a
> mouse/keyboard command.  It is connected to an internet server and an AGWPE
> port full time but after so long it doesn't decode incoming packets nor
> does it send any packets until I give it some sort of input such as click
> on a menu etc.

What type of operating system is Xastir running on?

Are either of the two boxes a laptop?

Do you have APM running in the BIOS or the OS of either box?

Do the internet server connections and/or the AGWPE socket
connection time-out?

I've noticed that if I start Xastir up on a Linux laptop I have, and
don't give it any packets to digest, that I get similar operation to
what you describe.  I don't get any updates to the maps and such
until I move the mouse pointer or strike a key.  As long as I have
packets coming in, or GPS strings to digest, it's fine.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin