[Xastir] latest cvs update broke my maps

Tim Schall ka7pbi at fortgirlfriend.ampr.org
Mon Jul 7 22:19:35 EDT 2003

I tried the 'UPGRADE' instructions.  Pretty simple really.  They didn't work.
I tried 'blowing away' my source directory and reloading.  Also simple.  It
didn't work either.  Here's what happens (Using locally stored tiger based
shape files for maps):

Start with my 'normal' map settings showing most of the Puget Sound area.
It's centered on my home at zoom level 512.

Zoom into the house to level 16.

Stations -> Find Stations -> [kd7myc-9 / could be anybody]

Icon for KD7MYC-9 shows up where my house used to be.
Map does not change.

Several seconds later Xastir bails out with:
	Error: Object "(null)" does not have windowed ancestor

Just for fun let's fire Xastir back up.

Xastir comes back up at my 'normal' map and zoom settings.

Zoom into the house to level 16.

Pick somebody different to find.  How about wa7nwp-9?

Whoops.  Bill's car is in my driveway.
For the purposes of troubleshooting I look out the window.
Nope.  Not there.

Several seconds later map has changed to yellow backgroud.
Fine. That's my default color background color.
Ooops.  No maps loaded this time.
Several more seconds.
POOF!  The correct maps.  Cool.

OK.  Now let's find ka7pbi.
WHAM!  House lands on top of Bills car crushing it.
No change in maps.
Several seconds go by and Xastir bails out with:
Caught Segfault! Xastir will terminate
Last incoming line was:
VA2CT-9>TV4S9X,VE2RNE-3*,WIDE3-3,qAr,VE2MGJ:`cH+l"h>/"4y}
19:17:54

I could go on for an hour like this but you get the point.  Is there any other
information I can provide?  And lest I sound like I am ranting thank you all
for efforts in this excellent programming and in resolving this issue.