[Xastir] Xastir on a laptop

Stephen West-Fisher steve at coastaldatasystems.com
Sun Jul 13 16:47:14 EDT 2003

Tom Robson wrote:
> Just wondering.   Will I be wasting my time trying to install/run
> xastir/cygwin on a Toshiba 90 Mhz 40Mb ram laptop with about 900 Mb free
> diskspace?
>
> I'm kinda used to running on a 233 Mhz with 256 ram on a stand-a-lone
> computer and performance is good.  Linux only...
>
> Any guesstimates on performance degradation?

I'm running it on an old Zeos 90Mhz with 32Meg RAM. Debian 3.0, and I
didn't install any window managers. I just startup xdm at boot and use
twm for the manager, not the prettiest, but the lightest weight.

It takes a while when it is loading maps, but other than the HSP timing
issue it seems to be working fine. I've found that by setting the GPS
timing to 10 seconds, it can correct itself, slower than that and DTR
can get stuck low.

Since this is meant for mobile moving maps, I downloaded the dosAPRS
maps and have them on the disk. I need to experiment around to find
something better/faster, but since I just got everything working today,
I'm going to wait a little and have fun.

--
Stephen West-Fisher
Coastal Data Systems