[Xastir] Xastir on a laptop

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon Jul 14 12:51:24 EDT 2003

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Tom Robson wrote:

> Just wondering.   Will I be wasting my time trying to install/run
> xastir/cygwin on a Toshiba 90 Mhz 40Mb ram laptop with about 900 Mb free
> diskspace?

You can try it, but I'm not sure I'd recommend that.  If it were
Linux it would work better/more efficiently.  You can use the UMSDOS
filesystem and install a version of Linux right onto your free
Windows filespace, or you can shrink that partition a bit and
install Linux in another partition.  I've done both of those.  I
prefer installing into it's own partition.

Another option might be to remaster a Knoppix CD, throwing Xastir
and some maps on it, then boot from CD, if your laptop is capable of
doing that.  Your might be old enough where you would need to boot
from floppy and then tell it to finish booting from CD, which will
work as well, assuming you have both floppy and CDROM drives in your
laptop at the same time (some have only one slot for these drives).

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin