[Xastir] shapelib setup help

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon Jul 14 14:16:08 EDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, [iso-8859-1] Seán Brennan wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for setup help, but will throw it out
> anyway.

It is the correct forum.

> I'm trying to setup the shapelib files and have followed the recommended directions
> to a tee. I have changed, several times, the MakeFile to remove to the one space
> missing afetr the "-h", but still get the failure"cp: cannot stat ',lib/libshp.la':
> No such file or directory", I am now at a loss what to do.

Relevant parts of README.win32:

[ ] Type:

    make lib_install

If you get "cp: cannot stat `.libs/libshp.la': No such file or
directory", then you forgot to edit the Makefile.  BZZZT!  Please
start again at step 1) above.  Thank you for playing!

The editing part is this:

[ ] Edit Shapelib's Makefile to remove the space after the "-h" on
the line that looks like this:

    /usr/bin/ld -G -h libshp.so.1 -o .libs/libshp.so.$(LIBSHP_VERSION) shpopen.lo shptree.lo dbfopen.lo -lc

Change it to this (one space missing):

    /usr/bin/ld -G -hlibshp.so.1 -o .libs/libshp.so.$(LIBSHP_VERSION) shpopen.lo shptree.lo dbfopen.lo -lc

What editor are you using to change the Makefile?  If it's a
DOS/Windows editor, it may be messing with either the TAB characters
or the line-end characters.  Use "pico" or "vi", or some other
unix-style editor to make sure that the file is not getting hosed by
the editor.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin