[Xastir] HSP/AUX/Timings etc.

Stephen West-Fisher steve at coastaldatasystems.com
Tue Jul 15 07:56:57 EDT 2003

Random comments about what I've noticed now that I've had the HSP
interface up and running for a few days.

First, more of a comment about how I fixed it, and what is next. I did a
very bad programmer thing (I've been known to get harsh with programmers
who work for me and do this) and just copied another section of code,
made a few little modifications, and it worked.

Looking at the code, it looks like the HSP stuff is an extention of the
normal serial GPS stuff. However, it also appears a better use of code
would be to treat the HSP code as an extention of the AUX code. In both
HSP and AUX all data goes into the same buffer and is parsed from there.
I'm going to give this a try when I get a chance.

Secondly, I'm still having the odd Segfault, but it may be my crappy
code modification above. Origionaly I thought it was happening on the
GPS strings, but this morning I had one on a digi of my beacon.

Third, the timing issue I had brought up earlier. I'm now not so sure it
is a problem, but Curt's idea of a timeout when reading the GPS may be
needed in the HSP code. Last night I was getting very frustrated because
the DTR was getting stuck low no matter what I did. When I decided to
give up for the night, I noticed the GPS had lost sync. So my theory for
today is that when Xastir gets stuck with DTR low, the GPS has lost
signal. I'm going to keep an idea on that for the next few days. While
this is not then an Xastir problem (if it pans out) I do believe Xastir
should be able to gracefully handle the situation. Currently, Xastir
holds DTR low waiting for the GPS. On a serial port this isn't a
problem, but on an HSP device it is blocking the reception on the TNC.
Not a good thing. So a time-out to raise DTR high to listen to the TNC
until the next GPS sample time would be a good idea.

--
Stephen West-Fisher
Coastal Data Systems