[Xastir] I need a wizard

Bob Donnell
Fri Jun 27 10:59:35 EDT 2003

Hi Massimo,

On Friday 27 June 2003 01:18, Massimo Corinaldesi wrote:
> Too much tweakings are producing strange results.
>
> At the beginning with a pk232 (9k6) I was receiving hf aprs, and I did some
> unsuccessfull try with audio alarms. Afterthat, I tried with a tapr clone
> tnc (19k2) for vhf aprs, but no luck: I see the red arrow going to left but
> no stations detected (for Curt: HEAD is off).

Unless you used a dumb terminal program to tell the PK232 to run at 19k2, it's
probably still at 9k6 for RS-232 communications.  And that speed is adequate
for reception from a 1k2 radio channel.  So I'd suggest changing the serial
interface rate for the xastir interface you are using back to 9k6.

If that does not solve the problem, I'd suggest using a dumb terminal program
like minicom, and to change its communications settings as necessary to see
the PK-232 power-on banner message correctly.  After making a change in
minicom, turn the PK-232 off then back on, to cause it to generate a new
sign-on banner message.  Once you have made that work, note the
communications settings, close minicom, open xastir, and set the interface
settings to match, and you should have working serial communications between
the PK-232 and xastir.

> Now, the situation for vhf tnc is the same, but I see no stations and no
> red arrow for the pk232 (that's working instead!).
>
> One more hint: in the first dayis, on opening an interface I saw a little
> red arrow right going. Now the right going arrow is no more here.
>
> Hope these symptoms could enable someone (the wizard) help me to overcome
> my tweaking.

Hope that helps!

73, Bob, KD7NM, former AEA customer service technician