[Xastir] One step closer with my RH 9 install, BUT

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat Jun 28 14:36:48 EDT 2003

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Gale Wilkinson wrote:

>     Xastir appears to compile and install with no error messages.  But
> when I try to start it I get a bunch of error mesages (all the same
> message, it just appears many times).  The error message is:
>
>     Warning: Cannont find callback list in XtAddCallback.

These sorts of problems aren't usually seen by users, but are seen by
developers who are messing with the GUI portion of the program.  I
only get them when I'm adding new GUI widgets and messed something
up in the callback code.

I haven't been messing with the GUI lately, but perhaps others have.
If so, the developers should check their work to make sure that
everything in the callbacks was done correctly.

Are you running CVS Xastir?  What widget set did you choose during
the Linux install, OpenMotif or Lesstif?  Does this problem happen
only when clicking on certain GUI objects, or on most or all of them?

If you're running CVS, you might do another "cvs update" to make sure
that you got all of the files updated.  Perhaps you have newer
versions of some files that don't match older versions of others?

>     The program appears to start normally though.  Then I get the normal
> initial Xastir screen (The X in the center of a grid with the menu at
> the top).  But if you click on any of the menu items all that happens is
> that the menu item blinks.  Then the system locks up to the point where
> sometimes you can't even get anything else to work and end up having to
> do a  hard power down to get control back.

Well, there is another way:  You can try hitting CTRL-ALT-F2 to
switch to a different virtual console, (then ATL-F3/ALT-F4/etc to
find one that's unused), then log in and do "ps -aux" listings to
find the processes of interest.  Kill them using "kill".

If that method doesn't work (sometimes X is so messed up it won't let
you switch to a virtual console), you can telnet into the machine
from another machine and do the same thing.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer