[Xastir] One step closer with my RH 9 install, BUT

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat Jun 28 15:29:21 EDT 2003

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Gale Wilkinson wrote:

> Well, the following are the package versions I tarballed/compiled on the
> system:
>
> LessTif-0.93.41
> Shapelib-1.2.10
> ImageMagick-5.5.7
>
> There are 2 of us here who have been having problems getting it up and
> running under RH 9.   Though we both did an initial try of Xastir using
> Cygwin and had no problems on the Windoze boxes.  Though in my case as
> this is a totally fresh install on a clean hard drive for the express
> purpose of  setting up xastir I may just wipe the drive and do a clean
> installl of RH in server mode and then start from scratch using nothing
> but csv's like we did on Cygwin.

Yea, but then you'll end up with the same, possibly buggy, RH9
packages.  Any time you have a dot zero release, there's bound to be
problems with it.  I don't know how RedHat handles updated packages,
but you might have an online update option or should at least be able
to find updated packages on their website that have changed since
they pressed the RH9 CDROM's.  I'd install those and see if your
problems go away.

Another thing you could try is to install XFree86 3.x instead of
XFree86 4.x.  3.x has been around a lot longer and many of the bugs
have been squashed.  I'd only try switching that if the first option
above doesn't work for you.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer