[Xastir] Setting up on RH 9

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sat Jun 28 22:31:31 EDT 2003

You also need the shapelib stuff.  And sequence of installation of the
tarballs is important.

If memory serves me (real questionable after the last month on the
road), Alan has working RPMs of everything at the current release level.
  From that point, you could do a tarball update of the ImageMagick
stuff (which is a moving target most of the time), and the GDAL,
Proj-4/Proj-NAD, and Shapelib stuff with somedegree of impunity, simply
making sure you installed it in/over where the RPMs had placed stuff.

If I sound like I'm spouting nonsense, then please ask for more
detail... I'm doing the best I can right now, but my fingers are now
more familiar with the installation process than my brain, so I'm having
to dredge up the process from the recesses of an overworked memory.

In general terms, what I'd do is:
RH 9 install
Make sure LessTif is installed
uninstall the ImageMagick RPM and its development RPM
Install the ImageMagick tarball
Install the Proj stuff according to their directions (add Proj-NAD
appropriately) (remotesensing.org)
Install LibShp per the directions at remotesensing.org...
Snag from CVS, rebuild.

Curt, correct me if this is out of sequence.  I went looking and this
stuff had been pulled from the README.  I think this is a problemmatic
omission...

73, gerry