[Xastir] Setting up on RH 9

Rich Garcia k4gps at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 29 10:30:46 EDT 2003

Hi Gale.. I am still groggy from a 12:00-04:30 PC session here. I just
rebuilt my Win2K and RH9 computer here with dual 120 GB drives and
started from scratch.

At about 2am I finally got to installing Xastir so I was not in very
good shape but I had no problems this time. Granted I have not compiled
with everything but ImageMagic is working.

I did a RH9 install and selected the INSTALL EVERYTHING feature, heck I
got dual 120 GB HD's in here why not! I had a nightmare with my ATI All
in Wonder Video card that took me 2 hours to fix but I got past that
with some root work and VI editing. Once I fixed my refresh rate problem
that kept me from reaching first boot I updated RH off the web which was
another 1 hr of DL's.

I then did a CVS update just as stated in the web docs, added a Serial
TNC and Internet Interface and I was going. I have not installed the
maps yet, I was too tired but Tiger Maps and the terraserver.geo works
fine so ImageMagic is working properly. Maybe if the wife let's me later
I will DL some maps locally to the machine.

It was actually the easy part of the entire night! and I am no linux
guru by any means. I am still fighting with samba and cups to get my
computers (OSX, RH9 and WIn2K) to work with the file and print server
which is a clark connect box based on RH7.3.

Rich
K4GPS