[Xastir] System power needed

Tom Young tom at twyoung.com
Fri Mar 28 07:34:20 EST 2003

You might like to try the KNOPPIX distribution, first.   It runs
entirely off a CD, so
it is a nice way to see how well Linux runs on your laptop without
messing with your hard drive.    Unfortunately, you won't be able to
install Xastir on the CD,
without a lot of difficulty.   If there is any interest, I could install
the next
stable version of Xastir on a KNOPPIX CD and make the ISO file available
for downloading.

Anyway, once you see how Linux runs on your laptop, you can decide to
install Debian,
or some other distribution -- I run Mandrake 9.0(9.1 is available) on a
Sony laptop, myself.

You might want to be sure your distro has kernel version 2.5 or above, I
hear the
graphics performance has been significantly improved.  Unfortunately,
Mandrake 9.1
is still at 2.4, but you can install a later kernel on top of it.  You
will need your
friend's help if you need to compile a new kernel, and be sure to keep
your old
working kernel.

	73,

		Tom, KD1UL