[Xastir] Multiple instances of Xastir

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon May 5 19:59:09 EDT 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003, N1OFZ wrote:

> I finally got aprsd running on my Linux box after some much appreciated
> help from Chuck (kg4ijb).  I now have xastir getting it's feed from
> aprsd.  I now want to run a second instance of xastir under a different
> user.  I set up the user but there is a problem when I try to start
> xastir.  I open a terminal window and do: sudo -c aprs1 xastir.  I get
> the error:  Xlib connection to "0:0" refused by server.  Xlib: No
> protocol specified.  Error: Can't open display :0.0.  I know this is a
> X11 issue but I hope since others have done this maybe they can shed
> some light on how to do this.

Yep!  The story is that the X11 server is owned by the person who
brought it up.  In this case your first login.

Now you need to (as the first user) type "xhost localhost", which
will allow _any_ login on that computer to connect to and display a
window on that X11 server.

I regularly run 2 or 3 instances of Xastir under different
usernames, connected to the same server.

You can also start up more than one server and switch between them
on Linux.  That's good for trying different colordepths and such,
but I don't think I'd take the memory and CPU hit of doing that for
normal operations.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin