[Xastir] Multiple instances of Xastir

Jack Twilley jmt at twilley.org
Mon May 5 20:05:22 EDT 2003

>>>>> "Dana" == n1ofz  <n1ofz at arrl.net> writes:

Dana> I finally got aprsd running on my Linux box after some much
Dana> appreciated help from Chuck (kg4ijb).  I now have xastir getting
Dana> it's feed from aprsd.  I now want to run a second instance of
Dana> xastir under a different user.  I set up the user but there is a
Dana> problem when I try to start xastir.  I open a terminal window
Dana> and do: sudo -c aprs1 xastir.  I get the error: Xlib connection
Dana> to "0:0" refused by server.  Xlib: No protocol specified.
Dana> Error: Can't open display :0.0.  I know this is a X11 issue but
Dana> I hope since others have done this maybe they can shed some
Dana> light on how to do this.

Dana> Thanks, Dana N1OFZ

Normally, only the user logged in to the X server can display client
windows.  You can disable this bit of security with "xhost +" from any
xterm, but that's not a very good idea if you're on the internet.

If you have ssh installed, you could also "ssh localhost -l aprs1
xastir", and that will also have the desired effect, without lessening
security.

Jack.
--
Jack Twilley