[Xastir] cygwin/xastir questions

Kirk Mefford kc2elo at softhome.net
Wed May 7 18:37:55 EDT 2003

At 03:14 PM 5/7/2003, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
>On Wed, 7 May 2003, Kirk Mefford wrote:
>
> > I have 2 questions that I can't seem to figure out or find a straight
> > answer on.
> >
> > 1. Has anyone been able to make xastir play sounds when under cygwin? If
> > so, what was required?
>
>Do you mean speech or alerts?  I don't know whether anyone has tried
>to do either yet.  Windows is a newly-supported platform.

I was speaking of sound period.... Speech and/or alerts.  I'm going to play
around with NAS and see what happens.  Nothing like being in "uncharted
territory" ;)

> > 2. I can't seem to get the online tiger maps or the "terraserver.geo" to
> > work. Any ideas?  I have been able to pull findu trails and tiger shape
> > files work.  I have compiled with imagemagick and geotiff support and also
> > have wget installed.
>
>Can you type "display filename.png" and have that work?  Terraserver
>and the online Tigermaps depend on ImageMagick and either wget or
>libcurl.  Check in /var/tmp to see if the image was fetched ok via
>wget or libcurl.  If not, that's your problem.  If "display" doesn't
>work on an image, then the ImageMagick install is your problem.

hmmm well I didn't see any problems when I installed ImageMagick but when I
tried "display" followed by a PNG filename I dug up I got an error

"bash: display: command not found"

Guess that would be where the issue is... not to figure out what went wrong.

I guess enough of it installed for Xastir to realize it was there when I
recompiled but something isn't quite right.
Building with AX25.......... : no
Building with GeoTiff....... : no
Building with ShapeLib...... : yes
Building with ImageMagick... : yes