[Xastir] Re: Xastir on Windows

Jack Twilley jmt at twilley.org
Mon May 19 18:03:04 EDT 2003

WARNING: Unsanitized content follows.

Wes> Jack, I'm not sure why all your messages appear with no text in
Wes> them, instead your text is an attachment.

My email messages are signed by GnuPG, and the manner in which they
are signed for this mailing list has the text appear to be an
attachment, but it acts differently if there's a person in the To:
field.  One of these days I'll teach Gnus to always send to the lists
when replying to messages from the list.  Until then, please be
patient with me.

Wes> Now.... I personally am switching to linux within the next day or
Wes> two.  Xastir was for me, analogous to sticking my toe in the
Wes> water.  I'm about to jump in all the way now.

I am happy for you that your computing needs are so simple and
straightforward that you are free to switch operating systems.

Wes> Not to turn this into a microsoft bash,

[... Microsoft bashing elided ...]

Wes> Pretty useless to me.  I've been playing with linux on our
Wes> company's web server for about 2 years and it's time to bring
Wes> that functionallity home.  I'm not pushing linux on you...  just
Wes> justifying my though process.

Having said all that, reread your initial message, and see if it has a
tone of justification or advocacy.  As for me, I got tired of
continuous patching of RedHat distributions years ago and migrated to
the *BSD family, and I haven't looked back.  But everyone has their
own preferences, and the world would be a dull place if everyone used
the same software all the time.

Wes> I have no doubt as linux continues to catch on, there will
Wes> eventually be email viruses targeted at red hat and the like.

The first virus I encountered on Linux came around in 1997.  The
future is now, so to speak.  As for RedHat-specific vulnerabilities,
those have been exploited since RedHat was released.  There is no
security in obscurity.

Wes> For now, I'll try the not so popular OS which will give me the
Wes> flexibility to do all the cool web server stuff I've been wanting
Wes> to do for so long.

Again, I'm glad you've got an operating system that does what you need
an operating system to do.  Just don't forget that other people have
other requirements -- the ham that runs xastir under Cygwin may have
to share a computer with his XYL who uses AOL, for instance, or with
their children who use educational software designed for the Windows
platform.  For those people, running under Cygwin allows them to taste
the wonder of Unix and of xastir, and they should be encouraged, not
discouraged, to continue to use what works best for them.

Wes> Wes

Jack.
(administering FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Win98, WinME and XP Home at home.)
- --
Jack Twilley
jmt at twilley dot org