[Xastir] Stymied...

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed May 21 12:27:01 EDT 2003

On 21 May 2003, Wes Johnston wrote:

> I have finally gotten xastir 1.1.0 installed on my pc under red hat 8.
> I also have lesstif version 2.1 r 0.93.41 .  So far the only map I have
> loaded is a winaprs map of the USA.  When I connect to the aprswest
> server on port 10151, I see the red arrow at the bottom of the screen
> flashing, and see under "view incoming packet data" lots of data coming
> in.  None of these stations are plotted on my map.  Why is this?  My
> station shows up as an icon on the map though.

I just posted a bunch of reasons why stations might not show, to the
list a week or two ago.

Check your Configure->Defaults dialog to see if you've enabled
ALTNETS.  If so, you'll see only those stations that are in the same
altnet as you.

Is the "Stations" counter on the status bar incrementing as new
stations come in?

Check the Stations->Filter menus to see if you've disabled
everything.

Oh wait!  1.1.0!  Why are you running that?  That's is _SO_ old,
that it shouldn't be run anymore.

What you're probably experiencing is that you're connected to a
server that adds a new construct to the packets, and that old Xastir
is rejecting each and every packet because it sees an invalid
callsign in the path.  The new construct that caused that difficulty
was the Q-construct.

Run Xastir 1.1.5.  You'll be much happier.  Even better yet, run the
CVS version instead, and you can keep up to date.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin