[Xastir] "relay digipeat" option?

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sun Nov 16 12:36:54 EST 2003

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, dale huguley wrote:

> Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, dale huguley wrote:
> >

> >>I run agwpe on a windows box - and share it with xastir. Xastir,
> >>winaprs, and Ui-view all can access agwpe.
> >>

> >So, your single-point-of-failure possibility is a Windows
> >application.  Hmmm...   ;-)
> >

> Actually The Win 2000 box is more stable than Redhat 9 running Xastir-
> xastir still has an unresolved issue concerning CPU usage- the Linux box
> is rock steady when running without xastir.

Interesting.  I run SuSE 7.3 on both a very slow and a very fast box,
and have had no stability problems running Xastir.  I typically go 70
days at a time.  In fact I usually run two copies of Xastir on the
faster machine, one of which gets long runtime, and one of which is
the development version so it brought up and down a lot.

Check to see if you're getting into memory starvation (via free or
top).

Turn off Dead Reckoning.  It can use a bunch of CPU if you mess with
the timing in the config file and then go to U.S. or World view.  When
I had it set to one second I'd peg the CPU.  Default if you haven't
hand-tweaked the config file is 30 seconds I think.  It could still
be the source of your problems at 30 seconds if you're typically at
U.S. view or more and have a lot of stations on your screen.

Perhaps connect to a filtered feed for the receive side, thereby
reducing the amount of objects you'll have to move around on the
screen, and reducing the amount of memory that Xastir will allocate
to keep track of them.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer