[Xastir] Renamed: CPU Usage

dale huguley kg5qd at wxsvr.net
Sun Nov 16 17:30:12 EST 2003

Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:

>>>But First I wrote:
>>>

>>Actually The Win 2000 box is more stable than Redhat 9 running Xastir-
>>xastir still has an unresolved issue concerning CPU usage- the Linux box
>>is rock steady when running without xastir.
>>

>Interesting.  I run SuSE 7.3 on both a very slow and a very fast box,
>and have had no stability problems running Xastir.  I typically go 70
>days at a time.  In fact I usually run two copies of Xastir on the
>faster machine, one of which gets long runtime, and one of which is
>the development version so it brought up and down a lot.
>
>Check to see if you're getting into memory starvation (via free or
>top).
>
>Turn off Dead Reckoning.  It can use a bunch of CPU if you mess with
>the timing in the config file and then go to U.S. or World view.  When
>I had it set to one second I'd peg the CPU.  Default if you haven't
>hand-tweaked the config file is 30 seconds I think.  It could still
>be the source of your problems at 30 seconds if you're typically at
>U.S. view or more and have a lot of stations on your screen.
>
>Perhaps connect to a filtered feed for the receive side, thereby
>reducing the amount of objects you'll have to move around on the
>screen, and reducing the amount of memory that Xastir will allocate
>to keep track of them.

All the xastir is seeing is the output from the wxsvr- not even any
local rf.  I believe the problem is related to festival- I have had Mr.
Roboto go ape and repeat the same thing for 2 minutes until I killed
xastir.  Reminds me of when I had to kill Peek-a-boo Big Bird when his
batteries got low - at 3:30 am.

73 de kg5qd Dale