[Xastir] Question: Should I be an igate or not?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Nov 21 15:39:23 EST 2003

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Greg Jurrens wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:44:29 -0800
> James Washer <washer at trlp.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm fairly new to APRS. I've done a fair amount of googling, etc.. and still have a few questions about igates.
> >
> > Q1)Should I be an igate? With what crireria should I make this decision. Here's what I'd did to make my decision. I used xastir to put out an ?igate? query and received no responses. Further, looked at those few packets from my mobile tracker that made it to findu, and went searching for the igate. ~200 miles away from here.. So, I decided this was sufficient evidence to support my decision to run as an igate. Do you agree, or is there some better method? Or does it matter how many igates there are?
> >
> > Q2)How do I choose the right internet site ( whatever they are called ) for the 'net' connection. Again, with much hunting around, I located a site.. but is it the 'right' site?
> >

> > Q3)Is there any documentation that explains what occurs on the net(tcpip) side of this whole system. i.e. Is there some master site? Many peer site? etc etc.

> 3. Let me know if you find the answer to #3....It's pixie dust to me.

Good description.  ;-)

James:  If you have specific questions about the internet side of
things, we can try to answer them.  Different people might give you
widely different answers though, each one correct from their point
of view.  A lot of the stuff is undocumented, except in the sources.

There are basically four core servers.  Some people suggest that you
connect directly to them.  Others suggest that you connect to a
secondary network that connects to the core.  Yet others suggest
that you connect to regional or local servers that connect to the
core or to the 2nd tier servers.  It gets even messier.

> Happy Xastir Linux user for almost 2 years.

Hmmm.  I need to go through back-email and see when I started.
There are lots out there that pre-date me though.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin