[Xastir] RH9 compile problems

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Tue Oct 21 14:52:14 EDT 2003

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 08:54:44AM -0500, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
> <evangelism>
> For those who haven't played with it, check out apt-get
> (http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/) for adding and updating packages.  It
> solves a big problem with RPM, which GnomeRPM and a few other programs
> try to mitigate: snagging all the dependencies and installing them
> together with the package you wanted in the first place.  I've now got a
> cron job that updates my systems (home's just 2, plus the laptop; work's
> about 80) every night.  It'll make your life a lot easier for
> installing, for example XFree86 or gcc.
> </evangelism>
>
> Glad you got it up, Jacob!

<more evangelism>
Better yet, install Debian, which is where apt-get originated, or one
of its offspring (e.g., Libranet).
</more evangelism>

The GUI version of apt-get, synaptic, isn't bad either.

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          n7xy (at) n7xy.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.n7xy.net