[Xastir] Another possible bug with CVS.

Dick C. Reichenbach dreichen at columbus.rr.com
Thu Oct 30 14:01:15 EST 2003

It seems that this only happens when Xastir is running for long periods
of time.

Again, I'm running Solaris 8 on Sparc Hardware, under VNC.

I updated CVS about 5 weeks ago.  After about 2 weeks of constant
running, it would hang when it went to reload a map.  The consequence
was that all incoming / outgoing activity would stop until the map was
completly reloaded, but because the map wouldn't completly load.  As
soon as I would notice the situation, moving the mouse would for some
strange reason, cause the map to continue loading.  I typically load a
minimum of 3 and a normal of about 10-12 palm PocketAPRS maps.  I store
all my palmmaps in one directory and just let Xastir figure out which
ones to load based on the extants of the map file.

Some more filler here.  Xastir does reload maps even when you're not at
the keyboard.  I have Enable Weather Alert Counties turned on, so every
time it would receive a new WX alert, it would reload, and if it would
hang on any particular map, it would stop all processing until the mouse
was moved again (sometimes hours).  Oh, I've said palm maps so far, but
it also hangs on .geo's and shapefile maps.

As I said, moving the mouse on the screen would let xastir load all the
maps, provided I continue moving the mouse the whole time.

About 2-3 weeks ago I updated the CVS and recompiled.  No more problems
until now.  It is doing the exact same thing.  But why would it only
happen after a couple weeks of run time?  Why not every time it is
started?

I don't know how long the current process has been running, but it's
showing 431:55 CPU hours (whatever that means).

Dick Reichenbach
KC8OBZ