[Xastir] readme.win32 file

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Sep 2 15:47:59 EDT 2003

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Byron Smith wrote:

> Well, after running into problems installing XFree86 stuff on my RH9.0 box
> (rpm issues), I grabbed a laptop and
> proceeded to do the CYGwin/Xastir install on it. Dang it, I want to try
> Xastir ;-)

I must say, having to resort to Windows to run a Unix app is
certainly not what we intended...  :-(

Xastir runs more efficiently on a Unix platform than it does
Windows, but if your box is fast enough you should like how it
operates under Windows as well.  There are a few minor things you
can't do yet (Festival, AX.25 kernel I/O, GPSMan), but if you don't
need those, it's fine.

Near as I can tell, our developers currently run Xastir on:

    Windows (Win95 and newer)
    RedHat Linux
    Slackware Linux
    RedHat Linux
    Gentoo Linux
    SuSE Linux
    Solaris
    FreeBSD

Some of our users also run it on:

    Mac OSX
    Mandrake Linux
    Debian Linux
    Caldera Linux
    Lindows

I might have missed one or two.  The Xastir "Features" page has more
details, but probably needs updating with the latest revision
numbers for each.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin