[Xastir] readme.win32 file RH 9.0 Works

Han Sytsma middenveld at tip.nl
Fri Sep 5 14:39:52 EDT 2003

Hi Curt and others,

As I promissed I had a look at RH 9.0 vs Xastir.
Since I had no computer available I just put in a 4 G hdd in a Pentium
III / 500 MHz - 256 MB memory.

I tried to do as much as possible out of the box, so I started a fresh,
graphical install of RedHat 9.0 and did choose WORKSTATION as
installation type since developper items are in this installation type.
I added Midnight Commander since I like it for its fast overview, no
other reason.

After installation in this way I downloaded the latest tarball of Xastir
(sept 2) from the website and compiled it:

./bootstrap.sh
./configure
Make
Make install
/usr/local/xastir

Xastir was up and running, no special things done so far however no
ImageMagick support or AX25 support in it. The only connect I could try
was to first.apsr.net:10151 and this worked, winaprs maps of
Europe/Netherlands.

Now I wanted to put in ImageMagick and AX25, that was a little bit more
difficult.
First: ImageMagick including devel was installed from CD but configure
did not recognise it. I noticed that  ImageMagick was no longer
installed in X11R6/bin directory but in /usr/bin (joke of RH)
Second I compiled and installed the latest AX25 libraries: 0.0.11
(ld.so.conf needs to be adjusted with /usr/local/lib and run ldconfig).

./bootstrap.sh
./configure

No ImageMagick and ax25 support according to configure. Configure did
find both ImageMagick and AX25, bit it missed functions in it! Now I
made a mistake by installing 2 things at a time: Old ImageMagick from RH
8.0 and because I suddenly remembered.. Bzip2-devel, this is used to
compress something in xastir I asume and maybe adds the wanted function?
I leave that question to Curt.

After this aswell ImageMagick support was included as ax25 support.

Here I stopped testing. What I advise to do is in case of problems:

1. try installing bzip2-devel from RH 9.0 cd 2
2. if not working: try to install RH 9.0 again, workstation mode (use
original system / no partitioning, no formating)
3. if the above doesn't work at all, try ImageMagick from RH 8.0

This should make xastir basicly working, however, no shapelib etc
support is now functioning here.
Good compiling

73 Han, PE1FAM