[Xastir] CVS update "broke" my Serial Port..

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Mon Sep 22 16:23:20 EDT 2003

On 22 Sep 2003, Richard Garcia wrote:

> I just did a CVS update and it acted quite differently than previous
> times. I don't know if this is normal or not but just a heads up if
> not...
>
> Xastir was working fine, I exited did a CVS update and all went well
> till' I started it up again. Seems that /ttyS0 did not "like" the
> update, it would go to a hard fail as soon as the screen came up. The
> failure was happening way too fast so I thought it was a permission
> problem. I made sure I was added to the UUCP group and then I had to
> restart Xastir for the port to come up. That did fix the problem and
> only took a few seconds since my guess was right but again I never had
> to do that in the past after an update.

There have been no changed w.r.t. serial ports or permissions
lately.

It's possible that you forgot to do the "chmod 4555
/usr/local/bin/xastir" portion after you did the "make install" or
"make install-strip" as root.

It's also possible that you might have done some system
changes/updates that caused permissions or other things to change.

For what it's worth, I'm having a similar problem on one setup,
where I messed around with PCMCIA, hotplugging, and network settings
recently.  My /dev/ttyS1 port wasn't working right today, or else
the GPS I had hooked on there is now non-functional.  Still
investigating as to why.  On that system, I haven't done a cvs
update in about two weeks.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin