[Xastir] FreeBSD 4.8 Build Problem

Stephen West-Fisher steve at coastaldatasystems.com
Sat Sep 27 07:44:17 EDT 2003

Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:

>It looks to me like perhaps your automake and autoconf aren't playing
>nicely together.  As I understand it, they are fairly closely coupled.
>You want to get an autoconf that matches your version of automake, or
>vice-versa.  Not sure where to find out which versions of each go
>together though.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know to track it down.
Here is what has happened, FreeBSD uses earlier versions of automake and
autoconf. Previously, they didn't have working ports for versions that
Xastir needed, so I just downloaded the source and built. Of course,
everything worked great. When I had to rebuild this machine, I noticed
that there were ports for the correct versions, so I installed the ports
for automake and autoconf.

The problem was that the ports appended the version number to the
executable. I noticed this, and linked automake and autoconf to what the
ports created. What I didn't notice was all the other executables that
already existed from other installs. So after a good cleanup in
/usr/local/bin, and linking the correct suspects, all is well.

--
Stephen West-Fisher
Coastal Data Systems