[Xastir] RFD: Map Centering

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Apr 21 13:37:06 EDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Hurt, Jay wrote:

> I posted this on SF as a feature request also, but I'd like to see
> maybe something like a button (similar to the "Track Me" button)
> that when selected allows me to click and drag the map to whatever
> position I would like it. (Would that be called panning the map?)
> When unchecked, left clicking would act as normal. This would
> allow me to set my range (via zoom) and then easily center the map
> wherever I want.

I see a problem with it:  Depending on which maps you have enabled,
it might take way too long to draw the map as you're dragging it.
I could see perhaps zooming out some percentage and drawing lines
for where the new map edges would be, then zooming in to that new
center.  That would be much faster/more efficient, but you might
lose some map detail while zoomed out depending on how things were
set up, so there's another problem that could crop up.

A couple of things I was thinking about earlier, and I think put
into feature requests back then:

A way to make the map center visible, probably with cross-hairs.
A way to pan in very fine increments.

Would those solve the problem?  Any more ideas?

> Thanks all for the awesome program and some topics that make my
> brain turn to mush! I'm having a fantastic time learning about map
> datums and such! :)

Greetings fellow Mush-brain!