[Xastir] Two suggestions

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Apr 27 13:55:19 EDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Jason Winningham wrote:

> On Apr 27, 2004, at 12:24 PM, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>
> > You can also compile in dbfawk support, create a dbfawk file for
> > those types of maps, then really customize how they are displayed.
>
> Let me say this is really worth the minimal effort.  I reconfigured
> with dbfawk and downloaded tgr2shp.dbfawk, and the Tiger data that I
> downloaded from the ESRI web site suddenly produced really nice maps.
> Street level detail goes away on zoomed-out views, then streets appear
> as you zoom in, then the actual street names appear as you get even
> closer.
>
> Some day I may even learn to write a dbfawk file...

So why aren't you using the 2003 street data?  That data requires
the dbfawk file to work, but we include the dbfawk file in CVS
Xastir for it.

> If I can get the topographical data from USGS working this well, I'll
> be so happy I'll probably just explode. (:

It does work, and you can set up the levels so that you switch topo
resolutions as you zoom in/out.  250k -> 100k -> 24k.  I have it
running in my Jeep.  Now if I just had my Jeep running...