[Xastir] Two suggestions

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Apr 27 14:17:22 EDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Jason Winningham wrote:

> My (limited) understanding is that the raw tiger data from the census
> bureau needs some sort of conversion into shape file form, either by
> compiling in GDAL or by using external tools.  I have neither working
> right now, so I downloaded the 2000 data that ESRI provides as shape
> files.

That was the state of the world as of a month or so ago.  Things
have changed.  Read README.MAPS to find out where to get the 2003
tigerdata street maps in Shapefile format.

> >> If I can get the topographical data from USGS working this well, I'll
> >> be so happy I'll probably just explode. (:
> >
> > It does work,
>
> Sorry, I didn't mean to imply otherwise; I should have been a little
> clearer. The code is there and I'm sure it works if you have everything
> built correctly. I'm having trouble on my Mac os X box getting all the
> parts and pieces installed so I can use all the neat stuff that
> GDAL/OGR support brings with it.  That's why I said "when I get it to
> work" and not "when they get it work".  (:

It's a tad bit harder on MacOSX than on other Unix and Unix-like
systems because the linker ignores link order.  If they would fix
that, things would be better in the Mac world.