[Xastir] Two suggestions

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Fri Apr 30 08:46:59 EDT 2004

On Apr 27, 2004, at 1:17 PM, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Jason Winningham wrote:
>
>> My (limited) understanding is that the raw tiger data from the census
>> bureau needs some sort of conversion into shape file form, either by
>> compiling in GDAL or by using external tools.  I have neither working
>> right now, so I downloaded the 2000 data that ESRI provides as shape
>> files.
>
> That was the state of the world as of a month or so ago.  Things
> have changed.  Read README.MAPS to find out where to get the 2003
> tigerdata street maps in Shapefile format.

OK, I CVSed the latest README.MAPS and didn't really see anything new
about Tiger data.  Is Tiger data going to be directly readable by
xastir with GDAL (or something along those lines)?

I have downloaded some converted data from xastir.tamu.edu, but
displayed everything (small roads, main roads, county boundaries, etc)
as a single width black line, and there were no labels at all.  I don't
know if this was by design (to reduce the size of the file), due to the
dbfawk file(s) I have loaded, or something else.  The shapefiles from
ESRI with tgr2shp.dbfawk are the only things I've gotten close to what
I want so far.

I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining a lot. xastir is a great app,
and I've finally found a wealth of maps, between Tiger and USGS SDTS,
and thanks in large part to those on the list.  I'm just trying to
figure out what to do with all of it now.  The developers have given me
too many options. (:

-Jason
kg4wsv