[Xastir] Two suggestions

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Apr 30 13:44:15 EDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Jason Winningham wrote:

> > That was the state of the world as of a month or so ago.  Things
> > have changed.  Read README.MAPS to find out where to get the 2003
> > tigerdata street maps in Shapefile format.
>

> OK, I CVSed the latest README.MAPS and didn't really see anything new
> about Tiger data.  Is Tiger data going to be directly readable by
> xastir with GDAL (or something along those lines)?

It is now actually, but you just get the vectors with no labels at
this point.

What I was referring to was the new Tiger2003 data which has been
converted to shapefiles and is available for download thanks to some
of the people on this list.  You'll need the dbfawk file that is in
the current Xastir (or on Tom's site), plus you'll need to configure
Xastir with the --with-dbfawk switch and then compile that support
in.

> I have downloaded some converted data from xastir.tamu.edu, but
> displayed everything (small roads, main roads, county boundaries, etc)
> as a single width black line, and there were no labels at all.  I don't
> know if this was by design (to reduce the size of the file), due to the
> dbfawk file(s) I have loaded, or something else.  The shapefiles from
> ESRI with tgr2shp.dbfawk are the only things I've gotten close to what
> I want so far.

You're almost there I think.  Did you compile in --with-dbfawk
support, and do you have the tgr2shp.dbfawk file in place?

> The developers have given me
> too many options. (:

Not very Windows-like, is it?  ;-)