[Xastir] compiling on SuSE 9.1

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Tue Aug 3 14:32:53 EDT 2004

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Rick Green wrote:
>
> > 3) I have liblcms-1.12-55 installed, but the loader isn't finding it. How
> > can I point it in the right direction, or what do I move into what
> > directory?
>
> Add liblcms-devel.  Also check out the INSTALL, FAQ, and README.MAPS
> files.

  Thank you.  I had searched yast several times, for 'cms', '-devel', as
well as scanning the various 'package groups' and had never found that
one.  I installed it, restored config.status and Makefile to remove my
edits, and it now compiles and installs successfully.  I see the notes in
INSTALL where Shapefile and ImageMagick sources may be had, but I'm leery
at this point of mixing SuSE and other sources for libraries.  I was
hoping they'd be available in a SuSE RPM, just packaged under a different
name...

The version I installed on my 8.1 system, using only libraries supplied by
SuSE, gave me AX25, ImageMagick, and PCRE support.  The version I ended up
with on the 9.1 system has AX25, festival, and PCRE support.  If I recall,
I need ImageMagick support in order to use the TIGER maps, but they load
pretty slowly anyway, so I'll use the pocketaprs maps for the next week or
so, as I attempt to track some gliders competing in the Region 6 North
sailplane contest.
  WHen I get back after the 14th, I'll set about learning how to compile
and install libraries from source, and see about adding Shapefile and
ImageMagick support.

  In a recent post, you mentioned a 'new feature' of a listening port that
will allow xastir to be a local server for other displays, but I don't
find a new source tarball on the site.  Is this only in CVS?  It looks
like CVS is another skill I'm going to have to learn soon...

--
Rick Green

                                  -Benjamin Franklin