[Xastir] Object/item bugs

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Aug 13 16:24:28 EDT 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Tapio Sokura wrote:

> First of all, the object comment fields seem to start after a space in
> the actual APRS packet. This eats one byte from the 43 byte maximum, but
> the comment input fields seems to accomodate 43 bytes. When I checked my
> object packet at findu, the last byte was stripped off and the space was
> clearly visible.

Most likely a bug.  Please file a report on that one.  It should be
easy to fix.

> When I try to modify an object I have created via the popup-menu
> (Object/Item->Modify), a window opens and then immediately closes. This
> happens every time I try and so fast that I can't see even the title of
> the window before it closes. Clicking "Station info" in the popup-menu
> and then selecting "Modify Object/Item" lets me edit the details of the
> object.

On all of my machines I go to the Modify Object/Item dialog that
way, but another window opens/closes very quickly on the way.  Are
you not getting to that last dialog through the Object/Item->Modify
method?

> Now when editing the objet, case changes in the comment field don't seem
> to propagate reliably. When I first changed a few letters in the comment
> field from upper case to lower case, they changed. But when I tried to
> change the same letters back to upper case, they didn't change.

This could have been caused by timing issues.  We update our local
database by creating a packet and throwing it into our standard
decoding.  If you happened to receive one of your transmit echoes
from the old packet just after you hit the OK button in the modify
dialog, the echo might have just overwritten the changes you made.

> I also suggest adding a menu item for creating new objects/items to a
> suitable menu at the top of the window.

We could certainly create new objects/items that way, but is it not
adequate to bring up the dialog using the standard method and then
just type in the coordinates?

> (and don't even get me started on scrolling!).

Why not?