[Xastir] Mac OS X Compiling Question

N1OFZ n1ofz at arrl.net
Wed Dec 1 21:23:55 EST 2004

On Dec 1, 2004, at 11:47 AM, Jason Winningham wrote:
> Just remember there are multiple variants; some stuff could be Fink,
> Darwinports, or in the standard location (/usr/local, etc).
>
> I've had the best success building from source _without_ the help of
> fink or darwinports.  Using information from N1OFZ's web page got me
> over the hump with shapelib support, but I used standard source
> tarball ./configure and make for everything else.

The advantage of fink is that the non *nix user can easily install
(through a gui) all the needed supporting applications/libraries
without having to compile anything.  Another advantage with the way
fink installs is that I can tar up the whole /sw directory and move it
to another machine, untar it and xastir runs (assuming the other
machine also has X11 installed).  I actually make /sw nfs mountable on
all my workstations .  That way I only have to maintain (update) xastir
in one place.

As to Curt's suggestion, I guess a simple test or two to make sure X11
and X11 dev wouldn't be too hard to check for.  As a matter of fact it
is as easy as checking /Library/Receipts/ for  the existence of
X11SDK.pkg and X11User.pkg.

Dana
N1OFZ