[Xastir] LINUX Talks ?

Alan Crosswell alan at columbia.edu
Thu Dec 2 10:57:08 EST 2004

I've used it for proximity alerts (in fact I hacked up the code a few years ago
to have it say more).  It now says stuff like "N2YGK-9 is 1000 feet Southwest of
Mile 9" which I used one year for the NYC Marathon (we track about 6 vehicles as
they go around the course).  The following years I turned to speach off as it
was just too much noise.  In a mobile application it might be useful.  It's
certainly not cooked enough to be useful to a visually-handicapped operator but
that might be an interesting avenue for some developer to explore.

My kids like festival (we just run the command line interface) so they can make
the computer say dopey things.  One more thing to cut down on the boredom of a
long car trip.  They also use my Kenwood D7 in the back seat to send APRS text
messages to the D700 up front and have used festival to speak those messages
when the laptop's hooked up.
/a