[Xastir] No response to APRSD?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Dec 12 17:09:08 EST 2004

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 02:57:49PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 02:55:13PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jradio at hitesman.com> flavor, containing:
> > Sounds like we found it.  Apparently Xastir only responds to the queries
> > if they come in all caps.  I'm guessing UI-VIEW may be sending them in
> > lower case sometimes is why it wasn't responding to them.
> >
> > Sounds like Dick KB7ZVA here locally (our iGate, UI-view, and APRS-IS
> > guy) who alerted me to the issue is working with someone (I'm guessing
> > Tom) on figuring it out as well.
>
> Yep.  That was me.
>
> The fix is simple (using strncasecmp instead of strncmp to check for the
> query string).  We were already using that for the "version" query, but
> not for anything else.  I do want to double check the spec, though, and
> make sure that allowing case insensitivity isn't The Wrong Thing.  If
> there's nothing there mandating upper case, I'll commit my change.

And on reading the spec I see:

   Queries always begin with a ?, are one-time transmissions, do not have a
   message identifier and should not be acknowledged. Similarly the responses
   to queries are one-time transmissions that also do not have a message
   identifier, so that they too are not acknowledged.

   Each query contains a Query Type (in upper-case). The following Query
   Types and expected responses are supported:

So UI-View is doing the wrong thing by sending lower case queries, and should
be fixed.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "That which does not kill me is better than that which does."
    --Irving Nietzche, lesser known of the famous Nietzche twins