[Xastir] How can I use SA captures from UI-View in Xastir

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Dec 15 00:02:29 EST 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 04:37:48AM +0000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kc4zgq at hotmail.com> flavor, containing:
> How can I use maps captured from Street Atlas using UI-View in Xastir?
>
> The capture process creates an *.inf file with coordinates for a given map
> of the same name that is captured as a GIF, or PNG file.  If these can be
> used it would provide a very simple way to create useful maps that are very
> quick to load.  If it can be integrated with the range scale function it
> could simulate zoomable maps nicely.  This could be a good way to support
> lower end machines and those without full-time connections.
>
> This link will provide samples of the maps and *.INF file.
>
> http://www.kc4zgq.com/ga1.zip

In the xastir scripts directory (subdirectory "scripts" of the source code,
or installed directory ${prefix}/lib/xastir) there is a perl script called
"inf2geo.pl" that can take the .inf file from UI view and produce a .geo
file that xastir can use.

In the case of the zip file you provided, though, some of the .infs wouldn't
convert.  In each case I tried, the script expected to find an image file with a
name matching the thing on the third line of the inf file, but there was
no corresponding image.  E.g., your file "SE Georgia map.INF" contained:

  33.10.64N,84.04.48W
  31.11.39N,80.57.05W
  SE Georgia map

but there was no "SE Georgia map.png"

The file GAcoast.INF worked as long as I downcased the file extensions.  Unix
utilities tend to be case sensitive, and inf2geo is always looking for
".png" rather than ".PNG"  When I ran inf2geo on this file I got a .geo file
that I was able to copy, with the .png file, into my xastir maps directory
and use as is.  It looks quite nice.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "That which does not kill me is better than that which does."
    --Irving Nietzche, lesser known of the famous Nietzche twins