[Xastir] Good or bad?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Dec 25 15:09:05 EST 2004

On Sat, Dec 25, 2004 at 01:02:36PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jewen at shaw.ca> flavor, containing:
> I see this flashing by on my screen since Tom added the -rtree stuff.
>
> cvs update: move away src/rtree/Makefile.a; it is in the way C
> src/rtree/Makefile.am

Um... that's really strange and probably means that cvs is confused.  Go ahead
and delete src/rtree/Makefile.am and do an update.  Your tree is wonky, and
deleting the file will just make cvs think it was lost and repopulate.  Heck,
go ahead and delete the whole rtree subdirectory and do a cvs update -dP.
That should give you a clean slate to work off of.  You'll have to bootstrap
again, though.

If it persists past then, then there's more to figure out.

> Is this good or bad? I also see something like this when I run
> update-xastir.

Probably just annoying, but you might as well clear out the directory and get
it back on track.

> Is there a way to suppress all the noise, and only have error messages sent
> to the console? There's so much echoed to the console that I simply ignore
> all of it until it is finished. Currently, if Xastir runs when it's done,
> then I assume things went okay.

Add
  cvs -q
to .cvsrc.  It'll be much less noisy.

> I haven't seen any great speed increase in the map display routines, so I
> would think there might be a problem in my system.

I have seen mixed results so far.  If you're zoomed way in on a map that
covers a lot more than the visible area you should see some improvement,
possibly lots, maybe only a little, because only the lines that are visible
are being read from the file.  If you're zoomed out so that a large fraction
(or all) of a large shapefile is visible, you'll see no benefit at all.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "When life gives you lemons, find someone with a paper cut."