[Xastir] Print and/or screen dump

JR kd1yv at arrl.net
Sun Dec 26 17:18:59 EST 2004

Tom Russo wrote:

>I'm sorry, I haven't been following this thread and might be asking things
>you've already stated in previous messages I didn't keep around.
>
>On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 03:20:34PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kd1yv at arrl.net> flavor, containing:
>

>>I have ImageMagick, (and it is listed in the Xastir help list).  I can't
>>find anything in their Help or Install or Readme relating to snapshot
>>support.  I use tigermaps, and they work fine.
>>

>I don't think there's anything in any docs about snapshot or print support
>other than that "gv", xpm support, imagemagick libraries and "convert" are
>required.  That tigermaps work makes it clear you have imagemagick and
>its convert program installed and working properly.
>
>When you attempt to print, do you get any console output? (if GV or
>imagemagick/xpm isn't configured the code should print out an error message to
>that effect when you try to print)  Does the print command give you the
>"preview" option, and does that also fail?
>
>Try using the "change debug level" item in File->Configure, set the level
>to 512.  That should cause the print feature to dump out some status
>messages to the console as it works on assembling the postscript for printing.
>That might help you pin down what's going on there.  That debug level will
>also cause tons of verbosity from map display, so you'll want to disable it
>when you're done looking at the print debugging output.
>
>Please forgive my asking if you've already stated this before, but what
>OS are you running under?

Tom,

Thanks for your reply.  I am running SuSE 9.1 with all recent patches.
I am running Xastir 1.4.1, recently compiled.

When I attempt to print, the print properties dialog box appears.  When
I click on preview, the dialog box closes, as I would expect.  Nothing
happens at that point.  From the documentation, I believe that a gv
window is supposed to appear with the image for further manipulation
before trying to actually print, but it does not.

I tried setting the debug level to 512 and printing.  However, I cannot
see where the console output is.  I looked in /var/logs and ~/.xastir
and all of the directories and files below them, but none have been
updated in accordance with the debug settings.  Is there somewhere else
that I should look for the console output?

73 de Jim, KD1YV
Check Jacquie's Movie News and Reviews at http://pages.cthome.net/kd1yv/