[Xastir] OS X binary

N1OFZ n1ofz at arrl.net
Tue Dec 28 11:59:52 EST 2004

Hi all,

I just finished a Xastir binary installer for OS X.  It is 17 MB and
includes ImageMagick, libproj, ShapeLib, pcre, dbfawk and map caching.
Before it is released I will also try to add GeoTiff support.  The only
requirement is that Apple's basic X11 package is installed (a preflight
bash script verifies this).  The requirements are: OS X 10.2 or better
and the base Apple X11 install.  Not much more than a double click of
the package and Xastir is ready to go.  I install everything in /sw to
be compatible with an existing fink installs but it does not require
fink.  I still want to create a postflight script to create a shortcut
to Xastir and possibly add it to the X11 menu.  Has anyone ever created
an Xastir logo?  Unless there is an official logo I'll probably use a
generic X icon.

I was going to include Apple's X11 installer and do a .mpkg so there
would be no dependencies.  However, the size of the package would go up
4X.  In addition I'm not sure I can redistribute Apple's package.  So I
have been experimenting with downloading it with curl and installing
from the command line on the fly during the install process.  Any OS X
users have thoughts?

I am in the process of testing it now.  My Mom got a 20" iMac for
Christmas and my Brother-in-law got a 17" iMac, so I have two virgin
machines to test on!

Dana
N1OFZ