[Xastir] PostGIS shapefile dumps

Erik G. Burrows eburrows at erikburrows.com
Wed Feb 4 13:26:54 EST 2004

Nope, but I did find the problem: I'm bad at math my conversion from
dd.mm.mmm to dd.dddd was flawed. Fixing that conversion with help from
(http://www.malaysiagis.com/related_technologies/gps/article3.cfm) fixes
the problem. Little 'x' points are showing up in the right places.

Now I'll do some introspection on other shapefile files (using the
shpinfo, shpcat and shpdup tools Curt suggested) to get the symbols and
labels correct.

I don't know if anyone has used these tools to make shapefile maps from
PostGIS databases, but it does work!... Mostly. An import of one
shapefile (city outlines) into PostGIS and export to a new file produced
some errors, but it was 99% correct.