[Xastir] Jerky Serial IO

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Feb 5 13:06:44 EST 2004

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Greg Jurrens wrote:

> Is anyone having issues trying to run 2 or more TNCs at once on
> Xastir?  I'm running a 10 day old CVS-Stable and just added a
> second iGATE TNC for the Motorola Marathon channel.  I'm now
> seeing a 'jerky' serial stream from ttyS0 and ttyS1.  It seems to
> make a difference if I have the Internet interface turned on.  Off
> makes things run smoother.  I usually connect to 2 APRS-IS
> sockets.  If I have both active,  my serial stream can run 10's of
> seconds lagging real time.

I wonder how many people are running 2 or more TNC's.  I would think
that an unusual configuration.  I'm running one.

> PII-450
> Fedora 1 Core
> XASTIR 1.2.1 Late Jan04 STABLE
> 2ea MFJ 1270B TNCs
>
> Ideas?  Suggestions?  The marathon is next weekend.

Are you running connected to a full feed?  Using a serial modem to
connect to the internet?  I'm wondering about possible sharing of
interrupts, interrupt latency, and how fast the internet data is
pouring in.

Have you tried connecting to a filtered port instead, with a radius
defined?  That'd really cut back on the amount of data coming in.