[Xastir] Not transmitting.

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Jan 9 12:30:24 EST 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Erik Jakobsen wrote:

> Very good Curt. I have installed it, but have some troubles.
> /usr/local/bin/xastir is owned by root, and so are the group. Think
> that's wrong ?.

No.  If you followed the instructions in INSTALL, you would have
probably installed it as SUID root, which means that it runs with
root priviledges when it needs to, then drops back to normal user
priviledges at other times.  This is to allow it access to the AX.25
kernel networking ports, and perhaps to your serial ports if you
haven't given normal users access to them.

> -r-sr-xr-x    1 root     root      1471580 Jan  9 17:30 xastir

That's exactly how mine is installed.

> Found out-of-range or non-existent value (0) for STATION_TRANSMIT_AMB in
> config file, changing to 0

These messages tell you that Xastir is updating your config file to
add new variables that were missing.

> Error: Can't open display:

Who owns the display?  Did you start up X11 as a different user than
you're now running Xastir as?  Are you running Xastir as root?  You
should be running X11 and Xastir as a normal user.

Warning:  Before you get too far into configuring Xastir, you might
want to delete your entire ~/.xastir directory structure and your
/usr/local/xastir directory structure, then re-install the latest
Xastir and start it up again.

Because you ran an old version of Xastir, your config file might be
pointing to the wrong area now (/usr/local/xastir instead of
/usr/local/share/xastir).

Do these commands as root:

    cd /usr/local
    rm -rf xastir

And these commands as each user that has tried Xastir:

    cd
    rm -rf .xastir

Now as root, go into the Xastir source area again and type:

    make install;chmod 4555 /usr/local/bin/xastir

Then start Xastir up as a normal user again.