[Xastir] xastir install on White Box Enterprise Linux

Bruce, KQ4TV xastir at bwm.us
Wed Jul 7 13:41:26 EDT 2004

Ok, this started as a call for help and there are a couple of points
that could use some clarification. Now it is mostly something for the
archives that might help the next guy that tries to install xastir on
this distro.

I have been using xastir for a couple of years now. I have used binary
packages (.rpm .deb), compiled from source, and in the last few months
started using cvs on all my machines (including my iMac and iBook). I
was supposed to give a talk to my local linux user group last week when
I came down with a nasty cold and my laptop hard drive seized. I was
using Fedora Core 1 on the old hard drive and had xastir working like a
champ. Now with the new drive installed I am starting over and have
installed White Box Enterprise Linux 3.0 (a free version of RedHat
Enterprise Linux 3.0).

I have gone down the INSTALL instructions and installed binaries where
available and from source otherwise.

When installing gpsman it says:
      chmod 777 /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/GPS   (IMPORTANT!)
Since xastir has not been compiled or installed yet then
/usr/local/share/xastir/maps/GPS doesn't exist.
Got to remember to do that later.

I get down to the part about GDAL/OGR

    9. OPTIONAL:  Install GDAL/OGR for support of many more map formats.
       NOTE:  This is currently being added to Xastir:  Some support is
there
       now for the vector formats, but it isn't "pretty" yet.  Should
you wish
       to see what map formats your system will support once GDAL/OGR
are fully
       integrated into Xastir, proceed with the following:

         cd src
         export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous at cvs.remotesensing.org:/cvsroot

Which src is this? /usr/src? ~/xastir/src?

OK, so I skipped that for now.

So I got the current xastir from cvs.  Ran ./configure and got a yes to
everything but GDAL/OGR as expected.
Ran make and get:

----snippet------
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..   -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/freetype2
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/libxml2
-DXASTIR_DATA_BASE=\"/usr/local/share/xastir\"  -g -O2 -pipe -Wall
-pthread -c `test -f 'bulletin_gui.c' || echo './'`bulletin_gui.c
alert.c:309:22: Xm/XmAll.h: No such file or directory
In file included from alert.h:41,
                  from alert.c:311:
db.h:135: syntax error before "w"
db.h:484: syntax error before "w"
--snip--
bulletin_gui.c:726: warning: implicit declaration of function
`XmTextFieldSetString'
bulletin_gui.c:746: warning: implicit declaration of function
`XmProcessTraversal'
bulletin_gui.c:746: `XmTRAVERSE_CURRENT' undeclared (first use in this
function)
make[3]: *** [bulletin_gui.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/source/Xastir/xastir/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/source/Xastir/xastir/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/source/Xastir/xastir'
make: *** [all] Error 2
----end snippet------

I could include the make.log but I thought that this was probably
enough.
Any clues on what is missing that needs to be installed to get this to
work?

I have installed:
libtiff-3.5.7-13
libtiff-devel-3.5.7-13

Oops, openmotif/lesstif has not been installed (was installed by
default on other distros)

Now it works fine. Still wondering about that GDAL/OGR part.

Bruce

--
Bruce W. Martin, KQ4TV
8749 Lebanon Rd.