[Xastir] PIC-X with Xastir?

jdw at eng.uah.edu jdw at eng.uah.edu
Tue Jul 13 16:20:18 EDT 2004

Curt, WE7U, wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, N1OFZ wrote:
>
>> Devices are also not like in Linux (/dev/tty*), they are like *BSD
>> Unix (/dev/cu*).

Actually there are both /dev/cu.* and /dev/tty.* device special files
available.  For the xastir/Keyspan combination, I can't tell the
difference.

>>  The trick is to find the name of your usb adapter.
>> Once you have it put it in the device line in your interface
>> configuration and it 'just works'.

That's if and only if there is a driver for that particular USB device.
If you have, for example, an old Belkin or a Palm variety, you plug them
in and see ... nothing, where the serial device special files are
concerned, because there is no OS X driver for that device.

> Type this as root:
>
>     cd /dev
>     ln -s cu.USA19QW191P1.1 tnc-x

That one only works part of the time, too.  In one particularly annoying
example, a Keyspan adapter's name changed each time the system rebooted (I
tracked it through 3 reboots).  It did go back to the original name after
a power cycle.  The Keyspan's associated device special file depends on
where it's at in the USB "tree", too, so if you're fumbling around the
back of your laptop and plug it in to port 2 instead of port 1, it'll have
a different name.

These reasons, plus the fact that USB is particularly unsuited for some
applications simply because there's no positive action to the connector
(friction is the only think keeping it plugged in) are why USB was
abandoned for my project.

-Jason
kg4wsv