[Xastir] Xastir is stack smashing?

Mike Markowski mm at UDel.Edu
Thu Jun 17 11:59:43 EDT 2004

This past weekend xastir was running on my laptop.  As
of last night, this is what now happens:

   mm at ab3ap mm $ xastir

   Built-in map types:
         gnis   USGS GNIS Datapoints
          map   APRSdos Maps
          map   WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps
          pdb   PocketAPRS Maps

   Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
          geo   Image Map (ImageMagick library, many formats allowed)
          geo   URL (Internet maps via libcurl library)
          xpm   X Pixmap Maps (XPM library)
   xastir: stack smashing attack in function create_appshell()
   Aborted

I use the Gentoo linux distribution (which you keep up to date by
typing "emerge -uD world" rather than upgrading with new releases),
so I'm not sure if the gentoo update or the xastir cvs update
brought this new unwelcome behavior.

Before I start tracing the problem, has anyone else come across it?

My gentoo box at work does not use ax.25 and the latest xastir
runs fine on it.  So I'm assuming it's some issue related to using ax.25.
Also, the error occurs even if I run xastir as root.

	Thanks!
	Mike