[Xastir] Image sizing problem: tigermap vs. the rest with xastir-1.3.2

Richard E. Polivka r.polivka at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 20 20:48:45 EDT 2004

This may be a FAQ so my apologies from a newbie.

While running xastir displaying tigermap, usradar, weather alerts and
stations being fed off the internet, I noticed an annoying issue. With
the western shore of Lake Michigan on the right side of the screen, I
had coastal stations appearing in the lake. Plus, the county weather
alerts look to be off also in their alignment.

So I did some digging. Based upon my measurements, either the zoom on
tigermap is not high enough or all the other stuff is too high. There is
a possibility that there is a mix of scaling issues here too. This error
manifests itself as a radial misalignment centered on my screen and
getting worse as the map progresses from center of display. Here is a
list of the software:

xastir 1.3.2 --with-dbfawk
libtiff 3.5.7
shapelib 1.3.2
proj 4.4.7 w/nad27 1.1
gdal 1.2.0
geotiff 1.2.0
Slackware 9.1 full install

I went and did a panning exercise on a city center (Oostburg, WI)
without changing the zoom level and ended up getting the following with
the city about half way up from center screen:

left side of screen: 43.61996N / 87.77647W
right side of screen: 43.61996N / 87.81787W

On a "center" command, I ended up with:

43.61996N / 87.79711W

The LAT/LON values are off the bottom status line display.

Any ideas or did I mess up somewhere? If anyone wants screen captures,
let me know and I will post them.

TIA,

--

Richard E. Polivka, N6NKO
   ARRL Central Division Assistant Director - Wisconsin

     by those who haven't got it.    - George Bernard Shaw