[Xastir] Objects on D7AG

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jun 24 12:12:37 EDT 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Josh Keller wrote:

> > If we're sending out things that look like real stations, then we
> > have to fit the object/item name into a 6-character callsign field,
> > plus we have to identify our transmitter every 10 minutes.  We don't
> > actually have to add the callsign into the comment field on the
> > packet, but it would probably be good practice to do so.
>
> It probably would be good practice to add it as the comment. For our
> unit a 6 character name wouldn't be difficult as 8 is generally the GPS
> limit anyways.
>
> I finally found the cable for the rino and it does appear to get the
> objects, so it is either a Magellan issue or an issue with the way the
> D7 sends objects via the Magellan format. (Why there is a separate
> format I have no clue). This presents me with a dillema :-) Our unit
> owns only Meridian units (6) and most all members who have personal
> units use the Meridian for simplicity in training :-) It would also seem
> to be a waste to program in that special case.

Interesting.  In this area most people run Garmins.  Might have been
partially as a result of my own biases, as Magellan used to have
severe quality control problems.  I have no idea whether they've
solved them, but they've had a lot of years now to do so.  I used to
be quite vocal about it around here.

Give me a quick summary:  Are you saying that the Garmins are able
to receive objects from the D7A, but the Magellan isn't?  What about
Items?