[Xastir] Problems installing Xastir

KK6RW kk6rw at kk6rw.us
Sat May 1 06:03:21 EDT 2004

Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 1:15 PM
Subject: Re: [Xastir] Problems installing Xastir

> On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, KK6RW wrote:
>
> > I'm very new to Xastir so please bear with me. I am trying to install on
> > windows box using Cygwin. I have followed the README.win32 instructions
but
> > once I try to compile and install Xastir, I get many errors listed in
the
> > bash shell. A sample is at: http://kk6rw.com/xastirerr.png .
> > This is the second time in this session I have tried to install and get
> > Xastir running.
> >
> > Running on a P4-2.4MHz, 40MB HD.
> >
> > I have tried looking through the archives but I cannot find anything
that
> > seems to relate to the problems. I don't know if is Cygwin, the download
of
> > Xastir (seems to go fine) or what else it may be.
>
> What you're seeing there is that the png library is not being found
> by the linker, even though it is specified in the link line.  You've
> compiled all of Xastir, and it is trying now to link together all of
> the unresolved references between the .o files and the libraries in
> order to create the final executable.
>
> I suspect it is ImageMagick that has caused the "-lpng" option to be
> brought in at that stage.  Check whether there's a png library that
> you can load via the Cygwin setup.exe program.  If so, load it and
> try compiling Xastir again.  You're almost there.  So close you
> should be able to taste it.

Thanks for the help Curt. I looked and then tried loading a png library that
was not originally downloaded during the Cygwin install but still come up
with the same error when compiling Xastir.
I can see it's close to the end of the compile. I'll try updating Cygwin
again but if that does not work, I am going to start over from scratch.

Thanks again for your help,

Randy - KK6RW